Sunday, September 21, 2014


It has been such a great summer for us!  In June we went to Tahoe for Jonas and Charlotte's wedding.  It was a week long adventure that included camping at Lassen Park, dutch oven camp food, and long hours on the road.  At Tahoe we stayed at great Air B&B across the street from the Jonas.  We spent time on the lake and an afternoon at an adventure ropes course.  George loved the ropes course, but I think Dad and I loved it even more!

Over Labor Day weekend we floated the Willamette with some dear friends.  We only stayed on the river for two days and one night.  But we set-up camp under a rainbow!

The weather was perfect and the rafts were set up with beach umbrellas.  

Hollis surprised me with how well he did on the river.  And while at camp, he played with the other kids for hours.

Hollis celebrated his 3rd Birthday on August 20th.  We had a BBQ - BASEBALL birthday party in Tunison Park.  He collected lego money instead of gifts and was able to buy the Ninja City of his dreams.

His earlier birthday celebrations had been grouped into a giant celebration where I - his loving momma - invited everyone in town.  I did this because I never had the time to see my friends, so it was a great excuse to bring everyone together.  This year, having had more time to connect to friends, I made the special day all about him.
Hollis has been surrounded by many of his friends since the day he was born. 
It is so nice to have been so stable to keep Hollis in the same house and same community.

Hollis had a great time running around with his family and friends and reports that he is looking forward to his next birthday party.

During the month of August, Hollis and Ezra spent two days a week together.  On Tuesday they were with me and I took them on the bus to Toddler Story Time at our local library.  And then we would take the bus to the Co-op or Lincoln School, before we came home.  The boys loved taking the bus, they would sit in the back where the seats were raised so they could see where we were going.  

Hollis's closest friends, Ayla and Anni have been gone all summer long.  At the end of August Alya returned and Hollis has been incredibly happy. 


Hollis started Pre-school this year at the Avery House Nature Center.  He had been attending summer camp there, and had really warmed up the the teachers and the program.  He attends school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning with Ayla.  On Tuesday and Thursday I am luck to have both of these kiddos all day long, until the University starts up again.

I use to work in a childcare center when I was 17 years old.  I was in charge of a class of six three-year-olds.  It was  easily one of the most difficult jobs I have ever had, but I loved being with the children.  Spending days with Hollis reminds me of those times.  This age is so fun.  Hollis loves to be helpful.  Last night Hollis help me make dinner, by cutting up vegetables (with a butter knife).  He also likes to help me form meatballs.  They say if your kid helps make dinner he is more likely to eat it.  While this isn't true for Hollis yet, I am hopeful that one day it will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment